| The Museum is housed in the Hihof, an annex of the
former Echternach poor house. The building, of Gothic origin, lies at the
foot of the parish church of Saints Peter and Paul, at the corner of the
Rue des Tanneurs and the Rue du Pont.
During the 19th century, the Hihof for many years housed the city grammar school and, from 1856 onwards, the country's first agricultural college, before serving as residential accommodation.
Severely damaged towards the end of World War II, it was restored between 1978 and 1984.
Today it is the last surviving witness of the old city quarters of "a Kack" and "am Saak".
The Hihof Museum of Prehistory was solemnly inaugurated on 16 August 1984.